Book Beat will be holding a Blue Moon Celebration & Sale on Friday, July 31 (10:00am-midnight). It is the only Blue Moon* this year, so we decided to celebrate with a Midnight Madness celebration and sale. Throughout the day there will be: author visits, a sidewalk sale, a children’s art project, special discounts (all books will be discounted 20%), read-aloud moon stories, musical performances (a set by Outrageous Cherry will begin at 10:30 pm), and a special in-store summer book club meeting for Station Eleven taking place at 6:30 p.m. Other stores in the mall will be participating as well. Tell a friend, bring a friend. Stay tuned for more details.
Blue Moon Author/ Artist Schedule:
- 12-5 PM: Marcia Hovland, tile & jewelry artist
- 12-4 PM: Wayne Brillhart, author of The Deer with the Purple Nose
- 1-3 PM: Kathryn Madeline Allen, author of A Kiss Means I Love You
- 1-2:30 PM: Irwin Cohen, author of Echoes of Detroit, Tiger Stadium, Jewish History in the Time of Baseball’s Jews
- 2-3 PM: Deborah Aronson, children’s author, author Where’s My Tushy?
- 5 PM -until ???… Rock ‘n Roll Artworks by Leni Sinclair, Gary Grimshaw (presented by Laura Grimshaw) & Dennis Loren.
- 6-7:30 PM: Paul Kavieff author of Detroit’s Purple Gang
- 6-8 PM: Jenny Risher, author of Heart & Soul Detroit
- 6:30 PM Book Club meeting for Station Eleven, a Michigan Notable book and National Book Award finalist.
- 7-9 PM: Michelle Balconi, author of Let’s Chat about Economics!
Readings of moon stories & poems throughout the day.
Blue Moon Music Schedule with Street Corner Music
5 PM Aaron Anderson DJ
6 PM: Jazz band TBA
7 PM: Chris Flanagan DJ
8 PM: Mike McGonical DJ YETI
9 PM: Glen Morren DJ
10 PM Jimbo Easter performance artist
10:30 Outrageous Cherry
*The moon was full on July 2, and it’ll be full again on July 31. The second of two full moons in a calendar month is often called a Blue Moon.