Please note: This book is not yet in stock - we expect copies to arrive for the signing on November 5th.
THIS EDITION OF HEADPRESS HAS BEEN APPROPRIATED BY THE HEADPRESS PANTHERS'.
HEADPRESS 28 marks the fortieth anniversary of the original White Panthers movement and heralds the launch of the “HEADPRESS PANTHERS” and “THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO UNPOPULAR CULTURE,” which fully endorses and supports the White Panther Party’s ten-point program.
The baton of the White Panthers is now in the hands of Headpress. John Sinclair, cofounding member of the White Panthers political party in 1968, is the editor of HEADPRESS 28. Mr Sinclair, a Detroit poet and one-time manager of the band MC5, became the focus of the counterculture and international media when John Lennon named a song after him and joined Stevie Wonder for a benefit concert to free him from jail.
HEADPRESS 28 marks the fortieth anniversary of the original White Panthers movement and heralds the launch of the “HEADPRESS PANTHERS” and “THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO UNPOPULAR CULTURE.”
* An Appointment with John Sinclair in the city of Amsterdam by David Kerekes
* An American Poet by Dylan Harding
* 75 Klicks above the Do Lung Bridge by Stefan Jaworzyn
* Advertisements by Dan White & Joe Scott Wilson
* Mardi Gras 2008: Go Get your Big Chief by John Sinclair
* Mardi Gras 2008: Eye-Witness Report by John Sinclair
* A review of Charlie White’s book Monsters by David Kerekes
* Mozic and the Revolution Revisted by Rich Deakin
* Brotherhood by Joe Ambrose
* The future now! MC5-DKT by Caleb Selah
* “Dr Gröss, we meet at last.” Bad crema in Guanajuato, Mexico by David Kerekes
* Black Dog by Antonio Ghura & David Kerekes
* “I don’t care where we are, you’re barred!” The story of Focus North by David Kerekes
* Queen of the Damned. An interview with Diamanda Galás by Stephen Portlock
* Bangkok Blowjob Bars by Peter Sideway
* Target of Horror by Mark Farrelly
* Interview with Nuns by David Kerekes
* “It’s the Silliest Party of the Year… and You’re All Invited!” by Scott Stine
* Panther Burns and Howls by Joe Ambrose
* A guide to Unpopular Culture by various
* News that’s fit to print by Caleb Selah
* The Great Fire of Dalston by David Kerekes
* Colour Section by Hannah Bennison & various
“Particularly bizarre, disturbing and sometimes delightful” Time Out
“The ultimate expression of the transgressive ethic” Speak Magazine
“Pushing the right buttons on the wrong people” Dazed and Confused
From Detroit, JOHN SINCLAIR forged a legendary course through the 1960s as a cultural activist, manager of the MC5, and chairman of the White Panther Party.
An early victim of the War on Drugs who faced twenty years to life in prison for giving two joints to an undercover cop, Sinclair served 29 months before his legal victory on appeal changed the law for good.
The long campaign received international attention when John Lennon wrote a song for him, “John Sinclair,” and performed at a benefit concert on his behalf in 1971, along with Yoko Ono, Stevie Wonder, Bob Seger, Phil Ochs & Allen Ginsberg.
To commemorate the fortieth anniversary of the White Panther movement, Headpress is proud to announce the publication of two books:
HEADPRESS 28: THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO UNPOPULAR CULTURE, edited by John Sinclair, and IT’S ALL GOOD: THE JOHN SINCLAIR READER, the follow-up to Guitar Army.
Dear Book Beat Customer,
We are sorry to inform you we are having technical problems with our ordering site.
As a temporary solution we can offer you the options of calling your order to our phone: 248-968-1190
. You can leave a message with your phone and we will look for the item and call you back.
You may also fax an order at: 248-968-3102 or request a Paypal invoice.
Please write "Book Beat Order" in the subject space in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will respond within one or two days. A new system will be available shortly. We are sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
The Book Beat
Shipping charges are customized for each order.
Media Mail in the USA is $3.95 on most orders, insurance is extra and
required on orders over $100.00.
Most overseas orders are $15. and up depending on weight and insurance.